What to Bring to Your Tax Preparation Appointment

Posted On: January 16, 2018  0 Comments

Most tax forms are required to be issued to you by January 31st, but certain forms have due dates in mid-February or later. If you have accounts where you have authorized electronic communication, check your email or online account for those forms. The more complete your information is, the sooner we can file your return. Use our tax prep checklist below and bring all applicable items with you to your appointment.

Personal Information

Social Security Card(s) (if a new client)
Driver’s License(s) (if a new client)
Prior two years of tax returns (if a new client)

Dependent(s) Information

Dependents’ Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth (if a new client or new dependent)
Form 8332 Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent (if applicable)

Affordable Care Act Compliance

Health Insurance Card for everyone in your family (required)
One or more of the following:

Form 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
Form 1095-B Minimum Essential Health Coverage
Form 1095-C Employer Provided Health Insurance
Marketplace Exemption Certificate Number (ECN)

Sources of Income

Employment Income

Form W-2 Wage Statements
IRS Form 1099-G/CT Form UC1099-G Unemployment Compensation (obtain online)
Form 1099-MISC/1099-K Self-Employed Business Income and Expenses
Records of all expenses if Self-Employed
Form 1099-G State Income Tax Refund Amount

Retirement Income

Form 1099-R Distributions from Pension/Annuity/IRA
Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement
Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed

Rental Income

Income and Expenses from Rentals
Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

Investments or Dividends

Form 1099-INT Interest Income
Form 1099-DIV Dividend Income
Form 1099-OID Original Issue Discount
Form 1099-B Information of Sales of Stocks or Bonds (including original cost of securities)
Form 1099-S Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions
Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

Other Income & Losses

Alimony Received
Form W-2G Lottery or Gambling Winnings, and records showing income and expenses
Schedule K-1 Income from Partnerships, S Corporations, Trusts, and Estates
Form 1099-C Cancellation of Debt
Form 1099-A Abandonment of Secured Property
Form 1099-Q Payments from Qualified Education Programs (529 plan or Coverdell ESA)
Form 1099-LTC Long Term Care Benefits Payments
Form 1099-SA Distributions from a Health Savings Account


Medical Expenses

Form 5498-SA Health Savings Account contributions
Health insurance and long-term care premiums paid (after tax premiums)
Medical expenses paid for insurance and to doctors or hospitals, eyeglasses, therapy equipment, hearing aids, bandages, crutches, therapy pool, and dental expenses (including mileage) See Publication 502 on the IRS website.

Charitable Donations

Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations (>$250 requires documentation from charity)
Records of non-cash charitable donations (required worksheet attached here)
Mileage driven for charitable purposes

State or Local Taxes or Sales Taxes Paid

Amount of state/local income taxes paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state/local sales taxes paid
Real estate and personal property (auto) taxes paid (obtain from city/town website)
Record of purchase or sale of residence (HUD Settlement Closing Statement)
Form 1098 Mortgage or Home Equity Loan Interest Statement
Invoice showing vehicle sales tax paid

Educational Expenses

Form 1098-T from educational institutions (also obtain transcript from college)
Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement
Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
Records of any scholarships or fellowships received
Receipts for classroom expenses up to $250 (for educators grades K-12)
Education costs if required by employer

Child Care Expenses (under age 13 or disabled)

Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler (with provider information including their Tax Identification Number)
Fees paid to a qualified day camp
(Don’t include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work)

Miscellaneous Deductions

Estimated taxes paid
Job hunting expenses
Form 5498 IRA Contributions
CHET contributions and account number
Alimony paid (SSN of recipient required)
Moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
Investment related expenses (investment advisor fees, newsletters, etc.)
Early withdrawal penalties
Foreign taxes paid
Gambling losses up to the amount of reported winnings
Unreimbursed employment-related expenses (uniforms, publications, licenses, dues, tools, travel)
Employment-related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, parking, gas, maintenance, property tax, license)
Union dues, safe deposit box, IRA brokerage fees, tax preparation fees for last year


Routing number and bank account number for direct deposit (cancelled check)
Other account number for direct deposit if desired (savings, money market, health, or education accounts or certain IRAs)

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>